The Avery Coonley School is a coed PreK-Grade 8 independent school serving bright and academically gifted students. The school is located in Downers Grove, a suburb 15 miles west of Chicago.
The Avery Coonley School is actively seeking Substitute Teachers for the current school year. Qualifications include a bachelor’s degree with previous teaching experience preferred. Experience in independent schools or gifted education is strongly preferred. Experience with the AESOP Substitute Hiring System is a plus!
To provide meaningful instruction and supervision for assigned classes in the absence of regular classroom teacher.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
* Reports to school office at the beginning of the school day to pick up required materials/schedule of classes and at the end of the school day to return materials. Follows sign out procedures as prescribed.
* Carries out a program of study prescribed in the lesson plans left by classroom teacher.
* Creates a classroom environment that is conducive to learning and is appropriate to the maturity and interests of the students.
* Guides the learning process toward the achievement of curriculum goals and objectives as indicated in the lesson plans for the lesson, units, or projects assigned.
* Employs instructional methods and materials that are most appropriate for meeting lesson objectives.
* Maintains a neat and orderly classroom.
* Takes attendance in accordance with school procedures.
* Insures students are never left unattended in the classroom.
* May perform duties usually required of the absent teacher such as lunchroom duty, hall monitoring, etc.
* Knows emergency evacuation routes for classrooms assigned.
* Performs other related duties as assigned.
Interested candidates should send a cover letter addressing what grade levels/subjects he or she is willing to teach and a resume to: