At A Glance
Founded by an educational innovator who opened the first kindergartens in the Chicago area, The Avery Coonley School offers an accelerated and enriched curriculum in which bright, motivated children age 3 through grade 8 learn and soar through exploration.
Here, experienced teachers who understand the needs of gifted and high-achieving children develop an individualized approach for each child. Students in this diverse, dynamic community together create a unique collaborative culture where the drive to learn transcends all other differences.
The ACS Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Council guides us in new initiatives and advocacy. Learn more.
- 1906 – The Cottage School Founded
- 1912 – New Buildings, New Schools
- 1915 – Mrs. Coonley’s Work Nationally Known
- 1929 – An Educational Landmark
- 1938 – Finding Wisdom Published
- 1960 – A New Direction
- 1980 – Fine Arts Wing and Early Childhood Program Added
- 1993 – Further Expansion
- 2006 – An Historic Past, A Bright Future
- 2018 – Inspiring Excellence: A Strategic Vision
- Today – A Second Century